Monday, March 15, 2010

Bucket List Item: write a graduation speech


Of all the shows and movies we watched when we were younger that attempted to exemplify the typical high school experience; my favorite was Ferris Bueller’s day off. I loved to watch it and think of myself encountering all the typical high school clichés like the ever faithful best friend, the attractive, out of you league, significant other, and the cranky principal who always tried to ruin the fun but was always outsmarted. Most of all I wanted to be that carefree, fun loving kid, whom everything always worked out for. Honestly, what kid wouldn’t want to skip school, drive a Ferrari, be the star of a parade, and get away with it all? When I finally got to high school I was surprised and disappointed to learn that high school (and possibly the real world?) is nothing like what you see on TV. Things don’t always work out, people aren’t type casted, and the thought of endless piles of makeup work outweigh any desires to skip school. I don’t believe being irresponsible, or fostering a false image of high school was the point of this movie. Instead, Ferris pretty much says it all in his famous quote, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t look around once in a while you might miss it.”
I stand before you today as a daughter, a friend, a classmate, and a graduating senior of Geneva high School’s class of 2010. I stand with my classmates at the place that marks the beginning of many of our adult lives; a place where many of you have already stood. I am not here today to ramble off inspirations quotes, or advise you on how to live the rest of your life. What I can tell you though is what I have learned in my last four years here, as well as congratulate you, and remind you of why you should be proud to be a Viking.
I can’t tell you what the future holds. I can’t even give you any genuine advice as I am in the same place as every graduating senior here. What I can tell you are some of the important lessons I have learned over the last four years. First, be yourself. I know I said no clichés, but this is one worth hearing as it is often overused and rarely applied. It wasn’t until my junior year that I began wearing, saying, and doing what I wanted without worrying about what my friends thought. My biggest fear then was losing my friends, but instead the opposite happened. I made new friends who liked me for who I was. I realized that my true friends would always be there, and those that aren’t there anymore weren’t my true friends to being with. I discovered another important lesson at the beginning of my junior year. It was seventh hour and I was to take my first physics test. The room was filled with anxious students hurriedly skimming through notes and study guides trying to cram in a last formula or obscure physics law before the tests were handed out. Before we started the teacher turned to us and said “don’t worry by the end of the semester you won’t even remember this test.” Well Mr. Bevans, I proved you wrong. While I don’t remember the grade I got on that test, or most of the material we covered I do remember the message those words taught me. Instead of worrying about the small things like one bad test grade or a silly fight with a friend, I realized how important it was to keep moving forward. I learned to not dwell on things, but instead to work harder and be positive about the future.
Before I finish I would like to say thank you to all the people who made this day possible. By giving your time, care, support, and encouragement we have all made it here today. Thank you, to the moms and dads who always believed in us and proofread our English papers at eleven thirty at night. Thank you to the teachers who stayed with us after school to make sure we understood what was going to be on the test the next day. Thank you for believing in us even when we sat in the back of the class gossiping during lectures. It is that faith in us that has brought us all here today. And to my classmates and fellow graduates of Geneva high school’s class of 2010: congratulations, we did it, we survived. This is a huge accomplishment. The reason we are all gathered here today is to celebrate this huge achievement.
Not only should we be proud of ourselves, we should be proud of each other, and of our school. We have accomplished so much these last four years in both sports and academics. Our strong sports and academic teams, state titles, and perfect ACT attendance exemplify the Viking spirit. When you think back on your years here at Geneva High School you may think fondly or not so fondly of them, but no matter where life leads you I hope you always remember where you came from, and the true spirit of a Geneva Viking.


Photo Source

1 comment:

  1. This brought a tear to my eye. I love that you are who you are, you say what you say, and do what you do. I'm so glad to call you my friend and to be sharing this day with you in the near future!

    You be rockin it girl!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete