Sunday, March 7, 2010

Living the Examined Life


2400 years ago Socrates, an ingenious Greek philosopher credited as one of the founders of western philosophy, was put to death at age 71 for heresy against Athens. While pleading his case he uttered these infamous words: “The unexamined life is not worth living.” In the aftermath of Athens’s humiliating defeat by Sparta (yup, the ones from 300) many people were upset by his words and ideas that questioned much of what Athens was trying (unsuccessfully) to rebuild. He responded: “I would rather be bold, ask questions, and examine my beliefs rather than sit by and let others think and decide for me.”


Being senior year I decided this quote was truer now than ever. I feel like everything is changing faster and faster right before my eyes. I feel like if I put ideas, feelings, events, people, and adventures down they will stay real and with me for longer. By writing about things I have to think about them… and while thinking examining? Thus, I am (I’d like to think) living the examined life.


Picture Source

1 comment:

  1. Sending you some blog love via blogland!!!!!!

    Welcome! I am so excited for more!

    ReplyDelete