Friday, March 12, 2010

deaf kids who love opra and drawing pictures for Himalayan men



PARTY 1:
(i misspelled part and spell check changed it to party... i think i like this better)

Yesterday I went to the Opera (classy i know)to see Donizetti's The Elixir of Love. Brief Summary: (Opera buffs skip ahead) Basically its about two men who are in love with the same girl (why can't we all be so lucky?). One of the men is a Sergeant, the other is a simple man from her town. One day a charlatan comes to town and promises to sell the countryman the same powerful elixir that brought together Tristan and Isolde. The countryman buys the "elixir", which is really wine, and believes it to be a love potion. He then drinks the bottle of wine, and tells the beautiful girl he loves her. She plays hard to get and he thinks the elixir is not working. During this time the countryman's rich uncle leaves him a large fortune. This becomes the talk of the town amongst the young women and they begin to feign for his attention. But, he only wants the one beautiful girl mentioned before. After a few more songs, a party scene, and about ten minutes of playing hard to get the two admit their love for each other and live happily ever after.
(An ever depressing plot considering I can't even get a prom date. Maybe I should take up drinking? lol I am clearly not mature enough to handle a play that promotes substance abuse. Oh school board won't you put an end to offensive art?!? I am being corrupted! )

The opera was surprisingly entertaining considering it was all sung in Italian. The music was beautiful and the singers were all extremely talented (FACT: opera singers don't use microphones). I even enjoyed the plot as it reminded me of some sort of happily ending Shakespearean drama.

While this wasn't an item on my bucket list I am glad to be able to say I tried it. I had a lot of fun with my friend Kayla who, after some convincing, decided to come too. We definitely had some interesting experiences... there were boys who sat behind us who sounded like a bunch of gossiping girls. Maybe I'm stereotyping boys but all they talked about were their girl problems and then about how society views them based on their race and relationship status. There was also a group of deaf (or hearing impaired) kids. I don't know why they were there (opera = singing which is usually meant yo be heard, and the setting didn't even change so I don't see how it could have been very visually appealing either). They had a teacher there who had to sign everything the speakers said, and I even saw them signing to each other. Sign Language = cool.


PARTY 2:

Today, after a normal day at school I went dress shopping with Kayla at a local dress store. It was really fun, and Kayla found a beautiful yellow one that she looked BEAUTIFUL in (and she should definitely buy it!!!!). After dress shopping we went to my favorite restaurant: Taste of Himalayas. The food was delicious (and spicy...) and the service was as usual, spiffy-ly decked out: Indian style. While waiting for Kayla to figure out how to correctly put a tip on a bill (most pathetic moment of my life was witnessing Kayla cross out the total section on her receipt because she couldn't correctly figure out a tip or how to subtract six dollars) I, like a five year old, began drawing on the paper tablecloths. When the waiter asked me if I had done that the last time I came. I shamefully admitted that I had. See picture 2 above: I spilled rice, drew a circle around it, and wrote messy with an arrow pointing to it and then wrote sorry (awkward smiley ). I was beyond embarrassed that he had called me out until he came back with the receipt. He told me that he had put a surprise in there for me. I opened it up to find the scrap of paper pictured above! I couldn't believe it! The paper I had written on the last time I came! I was so surprised to find out that they had kept it for at least three weeks!

Anyway, tomorrow is a big day: UIC GPPA/honors college (wish me luck as this is what determines whether or not I can get into the UIC medical school as an undergrad -easy, less stressful next four years- or if I have to work my but off against some serious competition in the next four years) interview, essay, and tour then St. Patricks day parade, river greening, and St. Patrick's day party!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment