Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pumped About New Dawkins Book and Recent Revelations


Above is Richard Dawkins new book. I just got it, but don't know when I'll have time to read it. I am a huge Dawkins fan and will post reviews soon!!! (unless I re-read the God Delusion first, very possible, in which case it will take a bit longer)

In my first post I made reference to Socrates’ quote: I would rather be bold, ask questions, and examine my beliefs rather than sit by and let others think and decide for me.”

I got to really thinking about how important this quote is. High school has been an interesting ride (to say the LEAST!). I have grown so much over the last four years, and my opinions, thoughts, feelings, and even friends have all changed as well. Had I read this quote my freshman year, I wouldn’t have thought twice about it. (had the quote been something from a Taylor Swift song, I might have)-(no hate on Taylor just making the point that I’ve matured since then)


Back then it was all about being cool, and fitting in. I guess I was compensating for the time I lost in my awkward, dorky middle school years (yikes!). It’s weird when I look back on it now. My life revolved around one small group and the opinions of three other people whom I thought were my whole life/school/world. Who would have though life goes on, the world is a big place, and there are SO many people out there. Why didn’t I know this then? This is how old people feel, I bet!

I guess basically I feel like I’m moving in the direction of this quote (if that makes any sense?) Instead of being scared or worrying what others think I’m beginning to trust myself, ask questions, be bold, and look for myself instead of blindly follow others (and just in time too!). I have no doubt that this new way of thinking will make college some of the best years of my life (if it’s possible to get better than high school that is).


This quote has really helped me out in this past week getting over some personal stuff that’s been going on. I guess I (and maybe other people too?) just need to remember to just keep thinking, and most of all not living for others, but for themselves, and keeping in mind that people will come and go. I think everyone leaves you with a part of them, and change you in some way. Is that all people are? How they influence you, or in what way they affect your life? (topic for next time cause this post is already longer then the government essay I’m supposed to be writing :P!)


This is probably one of the most confusing posts ever, and I don’t quite know WHAT exactly I’m trying to say, but basically the quote about = YES!

2 comments:

  1. double like your revelations! i admire your boldness and free spirit.

    cannot wait for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you discovered this quote. It is very wise and powerful and you are wise to live by its lesson.

    ReplyDelete